Finally I was able to attend a two days online training in order to get a solid introduction into AL Programming.
I can highly recommend this course to any C/AL developer who want’s to get started with AL quickly.
The intend of this post is not to go into the details of this training. Rather I want to point out the my top take-aways:
1. Be prepared for the cloud (NAV BC SaaS). A lot if smart people mention this as the first rule whenever you have to make a decision.
2. Get yourself trained on the concept of Microservices as this is probably also a very good approach for extension design.
3. Learn about the Power Platform. The connection between NAV BC and the Power Platform is getting better and better. So you should at least consider using the Power Platform in certain cases.
4. Get familiar with Azure and Azure functions. My feeling is that you will need them more and more.
5. When redesigning any NAV C/AL solution in AL think not about coding challenges in the first place. Redesigning the solution is the real challenge.
6. Just because it is possible doesn’t mean you should do it.